About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog which I hope to develop with some interesting material on ultra running both on the trails and road including reports on races and interesting training runs, views on kit and equipment as well as anything else I find of interest. I love running for adventure, opportunity and well being. Enjoy!

Monday 24 December 2012

Day 13: Old Mountain Road to Waitomo


Start: Old Mountain Road (804km)
Finish: Waitomo (870km)
Distance for the day: 64km
Cumulative distance: 870km

I set off today with no target distance in mind for the day. I knew as soon as I looked at the maps last night, and then looked at the weather forecast with wind and rain expected, that it was going to be a tough day on the trail. It was, they all are, but I was really pleased with the way it went.

The morning was spent griding out the very wet, muddy and root-ridden climb and descent of Pirongia (959m). It was always going to take ages, and it did…

At lunchtime I only had about 27km in the bank, so it was going to be a long afternoon and evening session to maintain average. I ran through until after dark, about 10pm, with Jamie joining me for the unexpectedly tough final section. He envisage 16km generally down hill - he couldn’t have been more wrong. He stuck at it though, and it was his longest run (duration) ever, which is mighty impressive. He also now knows what it’s really like out there. Pretty hardcore is the simple answer…..

I’m now going to bed, before I collapse on to the keyboard. Christmas Day tomorrow, we have a few plans to celebrate. Once the 60km is done…. Good night all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tremendous progress guys. Hope you can pause long enough on Christmas Day for Santa to catch up and leave your stockings. Remember to leave out some sherry 'n mince pies for him; danger of Jez eating them, though :-)

MtM

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas Jez and crew. Have a great day and you've earned all the mince pies!

Geoff Sparrow said...

Hi Jez, Jamie and Mark
feeling exhausted just reading the blog - which certainly conveys the effort and organisation required. keep smiling and really hope xmas day goes well - you certainly deserve an easier day. not sure brussel sprouts a good idea in the confines of a small van but might make the running easier.
geoff and claire s

Davie said...

Just catching up with your blog after a few days. I'll wish you a Merry Christmas now as it's tomorrow with you. The usual stunning performance from Jez but great admiration for Mark and James,too. Maybe they can crew for Jim Robertson and Jim Drummond in the future!

All the best,

Davie

Mike W said...

Happy Christmas to you all, hope you have a good day ,well as best as you can .Great to hear from you Mark and a great piece by Jamie that I posted a comment but dont think I have got this mail thing right yet!! Well done Jez you are going great and its great reading, especially from the armchair. Hope this gets to you cheers Mike W

Anonymous said...

Impressive beyond words! Keep up the mechanical and revel in what the day and night bring you. Best wishes, Hal