About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog which I hope to develop with some interesting material on ultra running both on the trails and road including reports on races and interesting training runs, views on kit and equipment as well as anything else I find of interest. I love running for adventure, opportunity and well being. Enjoy!

Sunday 24 August 2008

UTMB: final build-up

Well the final count down has begun, it's now just five days until the biggest, and arguably the hardest, ultra in the European calendar: The North Face Ultra Trail Tour du Mont Blanc.

I've been out in the alps for a couple of days now, staying in a campsite in La Fouly, Switzerland, right next to the TMB route. It's a cracking spot, reasonably high at 1,600m, but wonderfully peaceful and a great place to spend a quiet couple of days gathering thoughts before I head to Chamonix on Tuesday. I've done a couple of easy runs, today up to Grand Col du Ferret which was spectacular with cloudless skies.

The temperature seems cooler than last year when even at night the runners complained of it being too hot for running. Last night there was a ground frost and I suspect it will be the same tonight.

I'm certainly looking forward to running this year, aiming to have a much better run than previous attempts when I haven't trained specifically for the event. Hopefully my leg strength will be better and I can maintain a better pace.

It is such an epic race in so many ways, the important thing is to give the course the respect it deserves by setting out at a sensible pace. With the new 700m climb up to Flegere right at the end, it will be the runner who judges the pace just right who comes out top. Good luck to all the British runners, let's hope we get a few in the top 10 this year!

7 comments:

John Kynaston said...

All the best for your race Jez. Hope it goes well and I look forward to following your progress.

Can you publish your number so we can follow you on the official web site?

Thanks

John

Tim said...

Best of luck Jez and looking forward to reading your report!

(4028 I think John)

Anonymous said...

Be following your progress Jez, Good Luck.

Ellen & Murdo x

Brian Mc said...

Good luck with it - lets see if Paddy Buckley legs can carry you to the top 10! :-)

Thomas said...

Jezz, all the best!

flanker said...

Have a good one Jez, and all the Brits out there. Make Old Blighty proud.

Anonymous said...

He certainly did do Blighty and himself very proud indeed! It was a marvelous experience to be there cheering him on at various stages of the race(not the middle of the night ones I'm afraid to say!)and especially to see him come storming in at Chamonix within the top 40!! I'm in awe!! Well done once again!

Angela